What is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation(TMS)?
TMS Therapy is similar to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which uses precisely tarfeted magnetic pulses that stimulate key areas of the brain that are underactive in patients with depression.
This novel treatment option is conducted right in the doctor's office. Pateints are awake and alert during treatment and can go back to their normal activities immediately after treatment is completed. In-office treatment take ~37 mintues and is administered 5 days a week, for approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
- TMS is first non-invasive treatment that specifically target brain regions related to depression in the history of psychiatry.
- This novel cutting edge treatment was approved for patients with major depression by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and recommended by the American Psychiatric Association (APA)
- TMS is also effective in a variety of other conditions (Please see Other Applications)
- Compared to conventional medications, TMS is
- Contemporary Care is one of the most experienced and successful TMS Practices in the country! (For details see Why US?)
- We are also one of the most successful in getting patients reimbursed (For details see Health Insurance and Affordability)
People with depression have decreased brain activity in the left dorsi prefrontal cortex (PFC). This is the region that is important for pleasure/enjoyment and motivation. In depressed patients this region is underactive, resulting in Anhedonia(loss in pleasure), which is the core symptom of depression. Decreased left PFC activity, results in a depreeion circuit in deeper structures that are involved in energy, mood, sleep, etc. TMS is the only treatment that can non-invasively stimulate this region in a precise manner. Conventional anti-depressants and electroshock therapy are non-specific and impact the wholre bain and body. Since TMS can directly stimulate this region and normalize the brain circuit, it is more effective, fast acting, and has less side effects with durable benefits.